Canada Allows More Time For GST Proposal Feedback
Wednesday, September 7, 2016
The Canadian Government has extended the submission deadline for its consultation on proposed legislative and administrative reforms to the goods and services tax (GST)/harmonized sales tax (HST).
The new deadline is September 27.
The amendments are intended to:
- Revise the GST/HST rules applicable to pension plans, to ensure that they apply fairly and effectively to plans that use master trusts or master corporations;
- Extend the application of the GST/HST rules for selected listed financial institutions, to include group trusts for registered education savings plans;
- Revise and modernize the GST/HST drop shipment rules, to enhance their effectiveness;
- Clarify the application of the GST/HST to supplies of municipal transit services, to accommodate the modern ways in which those services are provided and paid for; and
- Introduce housekeeping amendments to improve the accuracy and consistency of the GST/HST legislation and regulations.